Friday, July 22, 2011

Virtual lighter glows my iPhone approval - Business Courier of Cincinnati:

manuscripts-shuwatu.blogspot.com
Ahem, OK, OK, this ain’ty exactly a Phoenix rising from theashes story. But this it’s all I’ve got. And, it seemed a little tragic for a minute or two when I droppex my old cell phone into the toiletf amonth ago. (Don’t ask. And yet, hadn’t I been eyeballing the iPhone for nearlya year, visiting it whenever I passed the storr at the mall and daydreaming aboutf how all-in-one I would be someday? It’s a phone!! A GPS! An iPod! A Web-surfing device! A camera! Naturally, I didn’g buy the thing, because I couldn’t bringy myself to spend $200.
So when my old-school cell phone – the one whose only excitingg “features” included a ringtonw and the ability toplay Pac-Man – took its dive to its sogguy death, it was just the excuse I So far, I’m digging it. I’n not usually one to mention productws by name inthis column. And Lord knows I’mk not the type of endorsement that most tech companies want being over 25and all, not to mentiom the fact that I have to consult my 22-year-olr stepson for anything more technologically challenging than findingv the TV remote down in the couch But the iPhone, I dig. For what a little dab of cool it bestowsz uponits user.
My daughter and her teen friends have even deigne to admit theylike it, especially the instanrt connection to YouTube and MySpace. My 6-year-old nephew and 8-year-ols niece fight over whose turn it is to play with theapplicationxs (Apps). I think it’s the groovy touch screen that lureseveryoner in. At least, that’s part of what got me. and the easy access to the AsI said, I’m no early so I’m new to the whole experience of being able to whip out the phond and look anything up on the Web. (Longtime BlackBerryy users, I now see why you’ve been so addicted.
) But I’vd gotta admit it’s cool to wonder, “Where the heck is that or “Wonder if that restaurant has good desserts?” and then quicklhy find the answer. I’m still in the early stages of iPhone experimentation, which means I’ve randomly called friendw by accident and hung up on a few peopld (there’s that touch-screen function). And I have yet to explorw the wide world of Apps beyonde acursory look. I suspect I’m too much of a cheapskatse to download any of the Appsthat cost, so I just browse the freebies. So far I’ve downloadec only a handful.
A couple of thosed are actuallyuseful (the , a flashlight that can be used when rooting arounde in a dark purse – unless the item you’rre rooting for is your iPhone). But most of my favoritre Apps, so far, are nothing more than parlor tricks. I can confirm that the Dog Whistle does, in fact, emit a noise that causesa dogs to sit up andtake notice. The Fluid App can keep smalk kids entertained for a few minute withits water-like ripples. Don’t waste your time with though. Go figure, but a digital switchblade doesn’f intimidate anyone. I am, however, going all-in on my recommendatio of the ZippoLighter App.
Choosde the lighter of your liking, engrave it if you then whip it out during Flip the metallid back, whirrf your fingers over the virtual ignition and watch as a realisticf flame blazes. Then hold that thing up proudly as yousing “Every rose has its thorn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment